Sunday, October 5, 2014

Warm your Palate and Neck!

Wow! Did we get hit with the cold weather just suddenly! Yesterday it snowed. Although it didn't stick, it came down for three hours, and the flakes were relatively small. The ground was too warm, though, for it to stick.

This morning we had our first official frost. I'd brought in some begonias that I'd dug up earlier this week--knowing the cold was only a few days away--and brought them inside. 

I'm finishing up another afghan, and it will be a good covering for the bed.

Now, for the goodies. I found this recipe for broccoli cheddar soup, which vows to be a copycat recipe of Panera's very same.
My husband is lactose intolerant, so I'm not likely to make it, unless I make it for myself. But it is my favorite when I've gone to Panera.
Okay, here it is!
  • Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup Copycat Recipe
  • Makes about 4 servings
  • 1/2 stick of butter (1/4 cup)
  • 1/2 of a medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups half and half (or 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of heavy cream)
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped small
  • 4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head)
  • 2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Bread Bowls (Recipe Here!)
  •  
  • Cook the butter, onion, and garlic on about medium heat until tender. 
  • Slowly add the half and half and chicken stock. Mix the corn starch with a little bit of water until there are no clumps and add it to the rest. Add the nutmeg and bay leaves and cook on medium low until thickened.
  • Add the carrot and broccoli and simmer until tender. Discard the bay leaves. Add the cheese and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper and serve in bread bowls. 

I'd likely leave out the nutmeg, but that's up to you.
Hey, as I've been back to crocheting, I've yet to do any of these cowels but they are all the rage, and you're likely to see them in stores. As for me, I'll make mine. Here's some pictures of a few.

 I really want to make both of these

I've also got to make a warm hat for my husband, and a scarf for my... well, he's done some photography for me, so, I guess you can say he's my photographer. I guess I'll be busy!
I also want to make a new pair of these fingerless gloves.
Well, that's all from me today! Hope you're staying warm, wherever you are!

4 comments:

Talk To Me...

AUDIO BOOK NOW AVAILABLE!

Hi, everyone, I have some great news! My first Sabrina Strong book, Ascension, is now in an audio book format.  NOW THAT I HAVE YOUR ATTE...